Here are a couple of simple checklists to make sure your move runs as smoothly as possible. You will find downloadable lists at the bottom of the page.
Notify your change of address
- New Zealand Post for mail redirection
- Your bank
- The IRD
- Your children’s schools
- Doctor, dentist and other medical or health practitioners
- The local authority or council – rates
- Stores where you charge accounts
- Your hire purchase company
- Publications you subscribe to
- Your insurance company to transfer your houselhold insurance, car, contents and/or health insurance
- Relatives, friends
- Local club memberships
- Your solicitor
Transfer the following services and make sure they’re set up for the day you move in.
- Gas and power
- Alarm monitoring
- Internet connection
- Sky TV
- Newspaper delivery
- Lawnmowing/garden services
Some tips for move day
When the big day comes around, make sure you’re as prepared as possible – whether you’re using a moving company or friends and family are helping out.
- Remove all fixtures and fittings from walls
- Disconnect your washing machine and drain the water
- Check the tops of wardrobes and in the attic/basement for any forgotten belongings
- Don’t put breakables or lequids in drawers to be moved
- Don’t polish furniture prior to moving it – it’s more likely to be dropped when slippery!
- Keep any jewellery, money, passports, legal documents or insurance policies with you.